Students will organize and develop their own room by becoming interior designers.
Students will present their sketches to the class.
Anchor Standard #2: Organize and develop artistic ideas and work.
- Read and discuss the book, “If I Built a House” by Chris Van Dusen.
- Think-Pair-Share what their dream room would look like.
- Introduce the career of an interior designer.
- Show an example of a hand-drawn floor plan.
- Discuss that it is drawn with a bird’s eye view perspective.
- In groups, discuss what a designer needs to think about when planning a room? (doors, lighting, windows, furniture, colors, closets/organization, space)
- Create an anchor chart together with a list of the ideas mentioned above for students to refer to when designing.
- Have each student sketch a plan of their dream room.
Students imagine they are an interior designer and will present their drawings to the class.