Students will create a clay model of an insect of study. Students will then create a habitat for their insect.
2–LS4–1 Make observations of plants and animals to compare the diversity of life in different habitats.
Anchor Standard #2. Organize and develop artistic ideas and work.
Anchor Standard #3. Refine and complete artistic work.
Overview: Students will do an indepth research on an insect and it's habitat. They will create a clay model depicting the parts of the insect and be able to explain and habitat choices.
1. Introduce insects and arthropods with an interactive website- http://extension.illinois.edu/insects/ 2. Students identify insect main parts. (science standard)
3. Read aloud Beetle Bop & Insects Alive Book noticing main parts and learning more about insects and their habitats.
4. View insects under the microscope for a close-up look.
5. Students select their insect of pre-selected options. Students research their insect and habitat.
6. Then students create a sketch. Partners give constructive feedback.
7. Students create insect out of Model Magic or other clay. Student must have the necessary parts but their colors to be whimsical.
8. Students research and create realistic backgrounds out of box lids or 2-liter bottles with the bottom removed. (Science standard)
Students have a verbal assessment on identifying the parts of their insects and why they choose the habitat they did.